Hi Robert ;

You know this is such a fascinating thread for me, and
please believe me there is no offence intended for
anyone, because I ponder this subject and consider the
possiblity that I could be wrong or mis-informed.

> Indeed!  The difference between the moderate
> western perspective on
> this and that of any "fundamentalist" (I really hate
> that word!) is
> one of what to DO about the perceived immorality.

First, I would say that it is not really fair to
compare western "moderates" to Islamic
"fundamentalists".

>  I don't believe
> that convincing someone to be "moral" at the barrel
> of a gun is an
> effective method of changing behavior.

This is absolutely, 1000 %  true.  When Jesus was on
the earth HE never said "C'mon let's FIGHT those
sinners", and He never said "C'mon we need to pass
laws and lock them up".  Why not?  The answer is
people must do the right thing of their own accord,
and anything less is an illusion.

>  Islamists who advocate
> violence are on no higher moral ground than the
> culture they so
> fervently despise.

Right!

>  The finest hour I have ever witnessed in my life as
> an American
> occurred shortly after the 11 September atrocities.
> I know that I've
> written this before, but the sight of a Virginia
> State Trooper parked
> outside a mosque to protect its worshippers
> underscores the value of
> plurality in American society.

But isn't this a good example of changing behavior at
the barrel of a gun?  And aren't we doing the same
thing in Iraq and the average voter approves? Is
depleted uranium a good way to spread democracy?  Is
this the moderate western perspective?

Sorry to say, we are the Great Satan they call us.

Best Regards,

Peter G.
Thailand