Are you sure this is what they advocate violence over? Some of them (VERY close friends of the US) do so as a penalty in their own countries, but that's not what you're talking of. Bin Laden has been very clear about this, so have many others. I don't believe they're motivated by what Westerners do in the West. Primarily they wanted US troops out of Saudi Arabia, and they objected to US support for Israel.

Our foreign policy feeds from the well of our culture. I have a couple of Arabic friends (a Palestinian and a Lebanese) who complain that decadence in our society, especially consumerism and the weird depravity of "fundamentalist" Christianity, drives the exporting of violence overseas and perpetuates misery among oppressed people. Admittedly, this idea derives from a small sampling, and perhaps I should be careful not to broadly characterize a region on the basis of such limited contact. However, these are intelligent men whom I have come to trust and I've formed the basis of my view in light of their counsel. If I am in error in thinking this way, please enlighten me.

Again, it's foreign policy, not domestic cultural issues. This smacks rather too strongly of the "They hate us for our freedoms" nonsense.

I concede the point, Keith. I should have thought of that more carefully.

The finest hour I have ever witnessed in my life as an American occurred shortly after the 11 September atrocities. I know that I've written this before, but the sight of a Virginia State Trooper parked outside a mosque to protect its worshippers underscores the value of plurality in American society. The same courtesy would not likely be extended to a Christian church in Algeria, Libya, Syria and many other countries.

Are you quite sure about that Robert?

        No.

What are you saying, that they're all fundamentalists, that their governments and authorities are fundamentalist?

No, that isn't what I was trying to communicate. Tolerance for the diversity of religious practice in my country, at least at an official level, is quite high. Is this true in Libya? Can the same be said in Algeria? I've never been to these places and perhaps my cultural bias is showing. If you have evidence to the contrary, even if it's anecdotal, I would appreciate hearing of it.

And that finest hour in the US hasn't had a very wonderful follow-up, has it? Ask Cat Stevens, for one of far too many instances.

Again, no. We've really burned up our credibility with the rest of the world, haven't we? What disturbs me about that is the grim fact that so many of my fellow citizens don't really care.

That is God's problem, not yours, not mine, and certainly not theirs! We will go as it has been written about us, without the assistance of radical Islamists.

That might ring a little more true if you'd added: "... or Christian fundamentalists."

I'm not writing clearly, else you would understand. We Americans will be the cause of our eventual demise. Our fiery end will not be instigated by radical Islamists; the responsibility will be lain squarely at our own feet. Decadence is part of our problem, and the iron fisted backlash of the NeoCons and their ilk are merely the another face of the same die.

One of my sisters phoned me tonight in tears over this issue. She's so disgusted by what's going on that she wants to move to Europe. No one could successfully accuse her of being a Christian, she's certainly NOT a fundamentalist of any kind, but she's as American as anyone else born in my country. Many of us are absolutely sickened by what we're experiencing over here.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>