on 2/2/05 7:33 AM, Keith Addison at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the attitide of the traditional conservative
> fundamentalists in the US to the Arab world?

Judging from the Crusades (a word you still hear occasionally)

Yes! And in rather telling circumstances, sometimes.

I'd say it's hostile .... but I'm still unclear about the
difference -- it seems as monotheists become "more fundamentalist",
they should become more like one another,

What if it makes them more nationalistic, more ethno-centric, more jingoistic? Then they'll be more like each other, yes, but they'll hate each other too.

and in general, less
tolerant of the corruption and materialism of governments.

But it's not truly fundamental. "God is love" - you don't hear them saying that a lot, do you? "Love thine enemy." If there's a god there at all, it seems to be more of a frontier god, a jealous and insecure god much given to anger and vengeance, the god of the burning bush. Not a Christian god.

Yet American fundamentalists just can't get ENOUGH of corruption
and materialism -- they seem to love it!    -K

Is that how they see it? I'm not sure.

Regards