On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 10:44, cleary <o...@97k.com> wrote:

> Thanks to both Andrew Davidson and Andrew Harvey for their work as I see
> addition of PSMA administrative boundaries as an important improvement for
> our map.
>
> In regard to adding source tags to objects, I find them very helpful when
> editing something. If I think I have contrary information, I refer to the
> source of the existing data. If it is an authoritative source, I am
> prompted to go back and check my own information. Where information is
> unsourced or refers to a less authoritative source, then I am more likely
> to proceed with the edit or attempt to contact the mapper who entered the
> my edits, other mappers will be less likely to make changes without
> contacting me or at least double-checking the accuracy of their later
> information.  If information comes from multiple sources, then it may be
> appropriate to have multiple source tags e.g. source:geometry, source:name,
> source:alt_name etc.

I listened to a talk by Maurits van der Vlugt about "authoritative data"
once (slides
https://www.slideshare.net/MauritsV/authoritative-data-must-come-from-an-official-source
).

I think we give too much credit for so-called "authoritative data". Just
because the government publishes a GIS file of LGA and suburb boundaries,
doesn't mean it's 100% accurate because it's not, and so we shouldn't treat
these objects in OSM as immutable (I know you're not claiming that).

In regard to relations, it is possible to have different sources for the
> relation and for component ways,

Yes this is exactly how the import candidates have been prepared, I'm in
support of the source:geometry=* on the way, it's just the source=* on the
relation, especially where there will be many other tags added later that
I'm not so sure about.

Ways often get split, and so checking the history to find the source can be
difficult, but this isn't much of a problem for the relations.