Since it is dependent on municipal bylaws then I think it should be explicitly tagged.

Cheerio John

Pierre-Léo Bourbonnais wrote on 2020-04-03 2:05 PM:
The reason why we were asked to add them is for pedestrian security assessment and urban planning. When all sidewalks and crossing are mapped, we can measure crossing distances and estimate the probability of accidents, which can save lives when the cities add curb extensions (avancées de trottoirs). We use openstreetmap data to convince government officials that it is statistically better to take them into account when planning new neighbourhoods or enhance existing ones. Also, it allows us to get better precision and calculate penalties when routiong at traffic signals which must be crossed twice by pedestrian at some intersections. OpenStreetMap objective is to map what is there with the best precision available. When aerial photography was not precise enough for sidewalks, it was not feasible to add them, but now we get precise aerial photos that permit better representativity of the physical world. I can tell you that the amount of precision and completeness in openstreetmap data will increase rapidly in the coming years. And the COVID-19 pandemy will increase the need for precise and complete mapping of urban environments, so we must deal with it accordingly. Mapping sidewalks as separate ways is now in the official wiki and has been accepted by the community by vote, so we must now find the best way to accomodate everyone. For now, I am just trying to know if we must add bicycle=no to them.

About the routing directions, we must add the street names to sidewalks (as we do in my team), otherwise like Martin said, routing engines will tell people to turn left, turn right instead of turn left on A street, then turn right on B street, etc.