On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Kathleen Danielson <
kathleen.daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard, can you explain a little more of why you think that the idea is
> bad for OSM?

Removing "OpenStreetMap" from the attribution requirement is bad for
OpenStreetMap.  It is good for OpenStreetMap that people who benefit from
the use of OpenStreetMap be informed that it is OpenStreetMap from which
they are gaining a benefit.

Removing "Contributors" from the attribution requirement is bad for
OpenStreetMap.  Data contributors are the very core of the project.  They
create and improve the data from which we all benefit.  The "contributors"
portion of the attribution requirement was part of the discussion in the
license change process. Contributors asserted that a simple "copyright
OpenStreetMap" was not enough.  The OpenStreetMap data contributors deserve
recognition on produced works.

> The trade off that I am seeing here is reducing the
> readable/indexable/searchable text

"Reducing" ?  The image does not reduce the text the image eliminates the
text.  Specifically, the image eliminates every text character entity.  The
image eliminates "© OpenStreetMap Contributors" or 25 letters and copyright
symbol.

If you stretch, really really far, and try to accept that an image of a
letter is as good as a letter, then the image eliminates "© pen treet ap
Contributors".  In that tortured version of reality, the image eliminates
22 letters of 25 and the only explicit copyright symbol.  In exchange, the
letters "by" are added, which suggest, at best, something less than
copyright.

> in exchange for the beginnings of a visual identifier,

By visual identifier, you mean image, right?  :-)

I don't accept that an image is a beneficial replacement for the text.
When I say beneficial, I mean beneficial to OpenStreetMap.

> and a direct link to a strategic copyright page.

There is already a copyright page.  The link to the copyright page is
already a requirement.

In summary, the idea of a visual mark or image to replace the required
attribution statement is harmful to OpenStreetMap.