> And I didn't understand anybody in this discussion as that: Not the> visual
>identifier as it is a poor idea, but the REPLACEMENT of the text
> by this visual identifier is.
> Reducing that to a visual project is a common error, but it's not correct.

I've seen a few responses that because OSM is about data, then attribution on
maps should be in text.
One does not follow another. ""© OpenStreetMap contributors " doesn't do
anything to explain that notion.

It's a separate issue from a visual identifier for the use of OSM data on a
slippy map. Even if OpenStreetMap
were well known, the simple fact is that no one reads the copyright text at the
bottom of any map,
it's noise and clutter that we filter out (unless we're map geeks).

http://osmlab.github.io/attribution-mark/copyright/ (which btw now has a bit of
OSM.org chrome on it, nice)
This page does a good job at communicating the nature of OSM. Most folks aren't
going to come onto the talk@ list,
and be told the difference in 3 different replies. Our web presence just isn't
doing a good job at communication.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron