Courtney <courtney.william...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. ápr. 30.,
V, 19:06):

> This conversation has opened up important new questions.  Why is the main
> "Talk" channel the only one that is producing pushback? Why is it the only
> one that is producing such a negative tone?

Hi Courtney,

I think it's important to mention the problems arising from *intercultural
differences*
in your SOTM US - OSM Communication Presentation, as the OSM community
currently struggles with misunderstandings between different cultural
groups.

Although the "OSM Diversity Statement" has been accepted, its practical
implementation isn't fully successful yet. *Ethnocentric attitudes* need to
be addressed, and we must be more open to other cultures. However, this is
easier said than done.

IMHO:
Most conflicts within the OSM community and on the OSM-Talk mailing list
are due to *intercultural differences,* and there's no current mediation or
conflict resolution in place. It might be helpful to have "intercultural
mediators" who can bridge the gap between cultures and help understand
other cultural groups.

I mainly notice the clash between American and EU/German cultures, but
other cultural conflicts are likely as well.

Probably the EU/German OSM community needs to learn how to wrap their raw,
honest messages in a sugar coating, making it more palatable for those with
an American cultural background. Conversely, the American community should
strive to be less sensitive towards differing norms from other cultural
communities, embracing the deep-level diversity that comes with global
collaboration. ( [1], [2]  )

Unfortunately, the current OSM Etiquette Guidelines [
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette/Etiquette_Guidelines ]  do
not provide much assistance in understanding and resolving intercultural
issues. To improve the guidelines, it would be beneficial to incorporate
information on intercultural communication and provide resources to help
community members navigate these challenges effectively. This would promote
a more inclusive and harmonious environment within the OSM community.

In addition to this, new OSM community members should be prepared for the
potential culture shock they may encounter, especially those who come from
a top-down corporate environment. It's important to remember that
OpenStreetMap is characterized by a bazaar-style, bottom-up communication
approach, which may be an adjustment for some. Embracing this unique aspect
of the community will help newcomers adapt and thrive in the OSM
environment.

In fact, this is a big topic, and when I consider the OSM community
problems from the past few years through the viewpoint of cultural
differences, it gives me a good understanding of the reasons.

Generally, the OSM Talks mailing list is characterized by *"deep-level
diversity," and as a result, more productive conflicts are expected than
usual,* which is normal based on some diversity research [3]. This means
that diverse perspectives and experiences can lead to more engaging
discussions and ultimately result in innovative solutions and ideas for the
community.

I would be curious about others' opinions as well. To what extent can
cultural diversity be a problem? And how can we alleviate conflicts and
amplify the advantages arising from cultural differences?

contexts:
[1]
*""According to Hofstede, a typical conversation in a German cultural
context is characterized by a large degree of honesty, even if it hurts.*

*Consequently, Germans are perceived to be among the most direct
communicators in the world (Yin, 2002).Presumably, the strategy “be honest
even if it hurts” offers the other party the opportunity to understand and
learn from possible mistakes.In a qualitative study, Yin (2002) explored
the concept of  German wahrheit (truth), in terms of a German standard for
communicating in public.She describes wahrheit as expressions of an
individual’s personal opinions, using the first pronoun: “The wahrheit can
be displayed in a manner that implicitly or explicitly indicates the
rightness of one’s own opinion. In public talk, as one German informant put
it, ‘Telling the wahrheit hurts a little bit, but it’s okay’” (Yin, 2002,
p. 249).  As a result, frank and forthright discussion with open
disagreement for the sake of the discussion is preferred" Indeed, not
directly telling the wahrheit was perceived as hiding personal opinions or
lying by the German participants in Yin’s (2002) study....Additionally,
Yin’s (2002) findings suggest that German and U.S.-American meetings might
differ in terms of the frequency of counteractive meeting behaviors. Her
finding that Germans were more outspoken, cared particularly for telling
the honest truth (even if it hurts), and expected others to do so as well,
could imply a higher tendency to show counteractive behavior. For example,
complaining as one type of counteractive behavior can also be an expression
of honest criticism of the current situation. Similarly, complaining can be
used as a means to “vent” about the current situation of a team (cf.
Lehmann-Willenbrock & Kauffeld, 2010). We argue that these behaviors will
only occur if they are socially acceptable. According to Yin (2002), open
and honest criticism is far more likely among Germans compared to
U.S.-Americans."""*
Observing Culture: Differences in U.S.-American and German Team Meeting
Behaviors
March 2014 Group Processes & Intergroup Relations 17(2):252-271
DOI:10.1177/1368430213497066
read more:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260425358_Observing_Culture_Differences_in_US-American_and_German_Team_Meeting_Behaviors

[2.]
*"Generally speaking, Americans do not like to directly disagree with
another person. They are more harmonious in negotiating and like to find a
“Win-Win” solution. Therefore, Americans don’t usually use the word “No”.
When disagreeing they may say, “I see your point, however you might want to
consider…” or “Additionally, I would add…” or  “Perhaps we might want to
look at this way…”*

*Germans prefer to debate a point to find the best option, and this debate
can be quite direct, and even hurtful for Americans. When Germans disagree
they will start a sentence with, “No, I think…” or directly say, “I
disagree.” Or even, ‘That idea doesn’t make any sense.’*

*Americans interpret “No” as a blocking the conversation. It ends the
conversation for them. As well as seeing it as rude and potentially harming
the relationship. Germans interpret someone agreeing all the time as weak
and not able to make a good point. “No” for Germans is making a good
argument by offering another idea. But it does not necessarily mean they
have made up their mind in a final manner. Additionally, the American
subtle (positive) way of disagreeing is misunderstood by Germans and they
can walk out of a meeting thinking they have agreement when they don’t.*
*Another word that is different is “problem”. Germans use problem to
describe any issue, concern, worry, difficulty, and obstacle or possible
mistake. To an American’s ears everything is a problem to Germans and again
they interpret this as a block to a solution. The word “problem” for an
American is usually a crisis. It is something that may not be easily
solvable. For a German a problem is something that can most likely be
solved. It does not sound as negative to a German as to an American.
Americans use “issue”, “concern”, “challenge”, or “opportunity” for the
word “problem”. And in turn, these words may be confusing to the German who
again may think there isn’t a problem."*

read more:
https://blogs.sap.com/2006/07/24/german-american-cooperation-unexpected-cultural-differences/

[3.]
"Team creativity/innovation in culturally diverse teams: A meta-analysis"
First published: 27 February 2019 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.2362
PDF: https://gwern.net/doc/sociology/technology/2019-wang.pdf
*"This meta-analysis investigates the direction and strength of the
relationship between diversity in culturally diverse teams and team
creativity/innovation. We distinguish the effects of two diversity levels
(i.e., surface level vs. deep level) in culturally diverse teams and
examine the moderators suggested by the socio-technical systems framework
(i.e., team virtuality and task characteristics in terms of task
interdependence, complexity, and intellectiveness)...."*

Best regards,
  Imre
>From the Hungarian culture, which might be closer to the German culture
than the American one.