On May 3, 2023, at 11:07 AM, John Whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A very accurate summation in my opinion.

> Imre Samu wrote on 5/3/2023 1:03 PM:
>> Courtney <courtney.william...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. ápr. 30.,
>> V, 19:06):
>> This conversation has opened up important new questions.  Why is the main
>> "Talk" channel the only one that is producing pushback? Why is it the only
>> one that is producing such a negative tone?
>>
>> Hi Courtney,
<remainder redacted for brevity>

I agree this is an excellent summation and an important takeaway from it that
our Etiquette Guidelines may need bolstering in these directions.  In fact, I
quoted Imre's short essay on our community forum [1] in a discussion about
trail_visibility that I slightly hijacked off-topic (and have since steered
back on-topic) about European / German-speaking usage of the word "wasteland"
(which my US-English ear finds somewhat harsh) versus my preferred word for
these areas, which I and others might consider "wilderness."

OSM is a global project (somewhat obviously, but apparently often forgotten or
ignored).  We do well to strive to understand, embrace and even celebrate
cultural and language differences as part of our greatest strengths.

Köszönök mindent, Imre.

[1]
https://community.osm.org/t/tag-trail-visibility-proposed-improvements-for-this-descriptive-tag/97865/98