I would caution against hyper-simplifying the combativeness of the mailing
lists as "cultural differences". I can think of several German participants
on Slack and Discord that dispel this stereotype.  Similarly, I can think
of several American commenters who are notoriously abrasive on the mailing
lists.  Some have suggested that "open source absolutists" as a group are
the issue. However, we don't seem to have the same complaints about the new
Discourse community forum. Other explanations I've heard suggest that
real-time chat, moderation, and emoji reactions make for a more
collaborative atmosphere for some reason. I don't have the answer, but I
think this thread highlights that there are very real differences in the
various communication spaces that are worth exploring. I welcome any effort
to learn more about how we can maximize people's willingness to participate
in the project. If a meaningful demographic is repeatedly saying that
people's behaviors in communication spaces are reducing participation, I
don't think that should be dismissed or hand-waved away with simple
explanations. Unlike others apparently, I don't especially care who does
that research. If the data, analysis, or methodology are bad or opaque then
that will speak for itself. In the meantime, I assume good faith and await
what the people willing to get their hands dirty and work on the problem
have to say.