I think it's really cool how this thread has turned into a compendium--or
commonplace book--of ideas about the culture here. To me, all of the causes
you've discussed are in play, including the impact of types of tools and
types of data collection methodology.  It's why I am so drawn to this
community: the many forms of national, regional and other kinds of
identity, types of professional training or skill, different generational
approaches, levels of technology literacy, class consciousness (or lack
thereof), etc., are really cool, especially in the context of a globally
shared project. Then, add to that, the exponential number of available
communication channels and tools which confer yet another dimension of
complexity. I was going to try to write a bit about this in a diary post,
but honestly, you all have said almost everything I would have said, and
said it better than I could.

I do resonate with this idea about productive conflict:

"[Talk-OSM] is characterized by *"deep-level diversity," and as a result,
more productive conflicts are expected than usual,* which is normal based
on some diversity research [3]. This means that diverse perspectives and
experiences can lead to more engaging discussions and ultimately result in
innovative solutions and ideas for the community."

Although this thread was initially bruising, the outcome has been powerful.
That said, for anyone whose personality tends more toward "flight" than
"fight" this is a pretty high barrier to access.

Our presentation is primarily going to be about the quantitative
communications data that we are able to obtain from the publicly available
sources, but I will also make a point of drawing from this thoughtful
commentary and gathering it together as part of the survey findings.  Maybe
I can find a place for it to live in the wiki, so there is an online home
for it. Or maybe I can just post it in some diary entries. You all can
advise on this when the time comes.

If anyone in this thread wants to join us in looking at the data and/or
processing the survey, please reach out to me off-list. One of my big
takeaways from this conversation is that this is a big project--all help is
welcome!

On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 2:31 PM stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> On May 3, 2023, at 11:07 AM, John Whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A very accurate summation in my opinion.
>
> > Imre Samu wrote on 5/3/2023 1:03 PM:
> >> Courtney <courtney.william...@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. ápr.
> 30., V, 19:06):
> >> This conversation has opened up important new questions.  Why is the
> main "Talk" channel the only one that is producing pushback? Why is it the
> only one that is producing such a negative tone?
> >>
> >> Hi Courtney,
> <remainder redacted for brevity>
>
> I agree this is an excellent summation and an important takeaway from it
> that our Etiquette Guidelines may need bolstering in these directions.  In
> fact, I quoted Imre's short essay on our community forum [1] in a
> discussion about trail_visibility that I slightly hijacked off-topic (and
> have since steered back on-topic) about European / German-speaking usage of
> the word "wasteland" (which my US-English ear finds somewhat harsh) versus
> my preferred word for these areas, which I and others might consider
> "wilderness."
>
> OSM is a global project (somewhat obviously, but apparently often
> forgotten or ignored).  We do well to strive to understand, embrace and
> even celebrate cultural and language differences as part of our greatest
> strengths.
>
> Köszönök mindent, Imre.
>
> [1]
> https://community.osm.org/t/tag-trail-visibility-proposed-improvements-for-this-descriptive-tag/97865/98