Hi there!

On 10 Jan 00, at 9:01, Steve Lamb wrote
    about "Re: Pegasus vs. The Bat!":

> > John, if you don't the traffic to be unnecessarily raised again, please
> > don't argue with him. Besides, it's senseless since he doesn't listen to
> > you.
>
>     Oh I do listen.  I also think about and either accept or discard what is
> said based on its value.  I just happens to be that your recent postings to me
> have had nothing of value in them.

I haven't posted to *you* recently. I've posted to the list.

> > Just look what he says: he calls "virtual folders" idea "personalities
> > paradigm". He doesn't even care to think it over!
>
>     I *HAVE* thought it over!  Think of the behavior, Alex, for one minute and
> you'll see that the end result is the same!

No, it isn't, the whole idea is that the result might be *any*, *including*, but
_not_ limited to, the "personalities" feature.

> Virtual folders, mail all in one location.

First of all, *some* mail. Second: *physically*, it is in it's respective accounts,
only the *links* to the messages are in VFs. Hence, even if you *have* a VF,
you still can access the actual messages in the account they belong to, it just
stays unchanged. *Nothing* is changed, but something is just added. Not
much, since the most part of the code is already there and working (look at
search dialogue).

> The personalities from Eudora/Pegasus/Lookout! and others, mail all in one
> location.

In this case, *yes*, it's *physically* in the same location: all the input stream is
merged and practically cannot be unmerged, but that's not the case with VFs.

> Virtual folders, when you press reply, it chooses the account the message was
> sent to and uses that to reply.

Either this way, or: setup a specific reply template for the VF, put there
%ACCOUNT macro -- and voila! From now on, you have *two* possibilities to
reply: either from the proper account, then it will reply through the same
account it came in, *OR* from the VF -- then the reply will go through the
account predefined by *you*. On top of that, you immediately gain the
possibility to reply to the *same* message with more then one template. I
consider this useful. Furthermore, you might well set up the VF so, that it
collects the messages from *one* of your accounts only. This way *nothing*
is changed in the way you work now, but the above-mentioned possibility to
reply to the same message using more then one template is added "for free".

> Personalities, when you press reply, chooses the account the message was sent
> to and uses that to reply.

Not quite! In Pegasus, whichever personality is *active* will be used for reply.
For example, as personality A I receive a message "alpha", which is then
filtered to the folder A. Now if I manually switch the personality to B, the reply
to this message will be sent using the SMTP settings of personality B! *But*, if
I "attach" the personality A to the folder A, for each and every reply from this
folder the personality A will be automatically used, regardless which
personality is active on the system-wide level.

>     Now, what part of that isn't identical!?  C'mon, cure yourself of your
> rectal cranial inversion and think for yourself for once!

Look above. Many aspects are different. The suggested functionality *might*
be used similarly, but it has potentially much more power. This is *not* what is
called "identical" in mathematics!

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---