Hello Alexander,

Sunday, January 09, 2000, 11:06:32 AM, you wrote:

AVK> Hi there!

AVK> On 9 Jan 00, at 9:11, Moosebreath wrote
AVK>     about "Re[2]: Pegasus vs. The Bat!":

>> SL>     Which is personalities and does break the paradigm of TB!.  Why people
>> SL> want to mungle everything together is utterly beyond me.
>>
>> You keep referring to "Paradigm", which means model or pattern
>> (yes, I know you know the meaning), usually the original pattern
>> comes from the writers of the software and then suggestions to
>> embellish new versions come from the users of it. So the pattern
>> or model is not something in stone, it is mutable. I don't think
>> there are any wrong ideas for improvements, some we may or may
>> not like personally.

AVK> John, if you don't the traffic to be unnecessarily raised again, please don't
AVK> argue with him. Besides, it's senseless since he doesn't listen to you. He
AVK> hears only what he himself says. Therefore, if you say he's wrong, he's call
AVK> you an idiot; when OTOH you say he's right (yes, on numerous occasions he
AVK> *is* right after all, needless to deny this fact), it will change nothing in his
AVK> selfestimate, rather probably he'll get the idea that he finally managed to
AVK> educate another "idiot".

AVK> Just look what he says: he calls "virtual folders" idea "personalities paradigm".
AVK> He doesn't even care to think it over! He never saw DOS navigator with its
AVK> Temp panel, he never saw FAR that utilises the same idea (that is, you can
AVK> launch a special panel, which works as follows: it shows the files from different
AVK> directories all in one place, where you are able to deal with them all: when
AVK> you, for example, delete one of them, the actual file in it's folder gets deleted
AVK> and so on... As all the people who have ever used this feature used to be
AVK> *very* happy with it, I'd say it's proved useful). He still calls it
"personalities
AVK> paradigm"! *What* personalities have he seen in FAR or DN??? Well, if you
AVK> *really* want, try to convince him, but proceed on your own risk:-)

I tell you the truth, after yesterday, I was just dragging an old
carcass through the water behind the boat to see which shark bit
first, the Great White or the Mako.

My opinion about TB is that the writers have a heck of a program
here and if the good points were taken from other processors
along with all the inherent power already in the program it would
be the best of all of them. I think everybody would say that they
have bits and pieces of other programs that they find very useful
and convenient.

It's just little things like a button to show all new messages no
matter which folders, in which account they are in.  You know,
mash the button, show me the new messages, don't make me wade
through the program looking for them. Calypso does that well. It
also has a "Trash" button, make an instant filter, nothing else
required, but it does show it in the new listings. On the
right hand side of the message listing, there is a column that
shows where it's been filtered to. If I want to change the
filter, I right click and change it at that point.

And how about being able to highlight a line of text that I
inadvertently reversed the case on, right click and "change case"

How about TT (teletype), I don't use it often but do sometimes. I
don't want to break concentration and go looking for it.

How about MAPI, I know I would use it, I have programs that use
it and I have to still use (gasp) Eudora! One of the reasons I'm
here is the fact that Eudora is "Bugs Life" now, but MAPI still
works. Just simple MAPI, no more.

Another thing is being able to "use popsend", sending e-mail
through the pop server. I could do that with Eudora in the INI
file. "usepopsend=1", haven't tried it with TB yet, anyone else?
I have to use it for an old support e-mail address with I can't
send through my DSL account.

And please put the "From" in the To:, CC:, Subject area so I can
mash it and select which account I want to send this e-mail from!

Let the spell checker catch those "the the's" and the "to to's"
etc.

The authors have an e-mail address for suggestions and I know that
they pick off bits and pieces from this system too. I know they
sit down at meetings with all the suggestions at hand and argue about which
ones make sense and which ones they have to put in because so
many people want them and which ones are just too much fluff.

It's kind of like voting, if you don't voice your opinion, will
you get what YOU want in the next version. I think the features
should be universal not some cryptic Imsai command.

Just little things. Personally I think "paradigm" shouldn't be
used when discussing how to make a great e-mail client almost
perfect!

I don't know how many actual paying customers there are of Eudora
but I think there are a lot of people about to permanently jump
ship. I know it's millions and that software is so buggy now,
it's a perfect time for another e-mail client to come into mainstream.
Outlook is picking up the majority, Calypso some more, Pegasus
another group, Netscape mail some more, and I'll bet the bat has
picked some for some unknown reason too! I know that's why I'm
here. Maybe it was a good thing that Eudora got buggy, I may have
never discovered TB!

Thanks,

John