Hello Karin,

On  Saturday, September 16, 2000  at  04:21:01 GMT +0200 (which was 7:21 PM
where I live) witnesses say Karin Spaink typed:

> Is it now. I have been on the net for six years and
> nobody ever told me that they were aggreviated by the
> fact that I use a proportional font to compose in and
> read my and theirs contributions with.

Why would they?  They can't see what font you're using.  But if you
try to do any formatting with variable width fonts, it looks really
bad.          ^^^^^^^^^^  The word formatting should have a series of
^ characters under it.  If it does not, then you aren't using a
monospaced font, and thus aren't seeing what I intended.  Of course I
could use a RTF, but you're even less likely to be able to read them.

> And if I may be so bold to ask -- isn't the whole
> point of _not_ sending html and stylized **** that
                                           ^^^^
Haven't you already gotten two warnings about that type of language on
this list?

> this allows end users to see what they get the way
> they want to see it?

Nobody will argue that one.  But if you do things like producing
tables or ASCII art or any other formatting in plain text, fixed width
fonts are the only way to go and ensure that everyone can read them.

>  Isn't html meant to be just
> _structure_ which each end-user can apply their own lay-out to?

No.  HTML is a markup language.  Thus the author creates the look that
they want to the message.  Different rendering engines may display it
slightly differently, but the basics are determined by the author.

>  >    No idea on the free caret but the fixed font is simple.  If everyone has
>  >variable width font then nothing comes out to look anywhere remotely as it
>  >should.

> Nonsense. What you are saying is that everybody should
> send their mail in stylized text or html with css,
> because only that way that get  to see it as _you_
> meant it. Ands last time I checked with RFC's, that was not the general idea.

I think you're missing the point.  Variable width fonts have *no*
common ground between fonts.  5 spaces in one fixed width font will
*look* like 5 spaces in any other fixed width font.

> I can see you .sig fine, thank you. Eudora _does_
> aloow me to switch from prop. view to fixed view at the press of a button.

But this isn't Eudora.  For now, TB supports only one class of fonts.
The members of this list are trying to explain to you some of the
logic behind that decision.

> my inbox is the designated place for unexpected mail,
> and I would like to be automatically pointed there.
> lus, I would like to have some kind of overview:

Currently the only way to come close to what you want is if you create
your own script in some external scripting language.  Then have TB
call this script whenever a given filter is used.

> Swans, so many; TheBat, so many; HippiesFromHell, so
> many. The amount of new mail in each list does often
> affect my curiostoty. And as for overview, I don't
> think that the mailbox-list overview works --
> especially since I tend to mark mail-to-be-replied-to
> or -to-be-attended-to later as 'unmarked'. They will
> show as nee. Exit overview.

Why not use the message flagging or the colour groups?  If you want
mark them as unread, why should TB assume that they aren't new?  Some
have requested another marking such as "seen but not read," but it
seems redundant with all the features currently available.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

 Using The Bat! 1.46c