At 18:05 16-09-2000 -0700, Steve Lamb kindly wrote:
 >On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:56:33AM +0200, Karin Spaink wrote:

 >> Ah, but I don't like pitcvhed fomts to begin with.  And as I told Jurek: it
 >> feels as if somebdy is hammering it in. You _will_
have fixed fomts and even
 >> if you find your way around them. we will still
make your message editor act
 >> asd if it were fixed font!

 >    Trust us, it is the only way email should be.

Is it now. I have been on the net for six years and
nobody ever told me that they were aggreviated by the
fact that I use a proportional font to compose in and
read my and theirs contributions with.

And if I may be so bold to ask -- isn't the whole
point of _not_ sending html and stylized shit that
this allows end users to see what they get the way
they want to see it? Isn't html meant to be just
_structure_ which each end-user can apply their own lay-out to?

 >> I won't repeat myself, but we're talking cultural differences here. In my
 >> country, you don't. And in my book, you don't either.

 >    Right, it is cultural.  It is the online culture to separate paragraphs
 >with a CR.  You're online, time to do as the romans do.

Thank you for kindly allowing me. And while you are the Romans, am I your Hun?

 >> There's no discussing taste. But as I said: why both have the fixed fomt as
 >> the only alternative _and_ free caret?

 >    No idea on the free caret but the fixed font is simple.  If everyone has
 >variable width font then nothing comes out to look anywhere remotely as it
 >should.

Nonsense. What you are saying is that everybody should
send their mail in stylized text or html with css,
because only that way that get  to see it as _you_
meant it. Ands last time I checked with RFC's, that was not the general idea.

 >The only sane solution is to use a fixed-width font so what you see
 >will closely approximate what they will see.  Again, refer to my signature as
 >an example.

I can see you .sig fine, thank you. Eudora _does_
aloow me to switch from prop. view to fixed view at the press of a button.

 >> I tried for a bit but it insisted on being over everything else -- plus, i
 >> still need to go to my inbox, and I don't have a filter report, and...

 >    Feh, filter report is nasty anyway.  I don't want this stupid window
 >popping up every minute telling me I have new mail.

I am not telling you to want it. I am telling the list that _I_ miss it.

 >Yes, I check every minute
 >and during the day, on a busy day, I can get more than 1 mail a minute across
 >my accounts.  The fact that the folder list has
hightlights and numbers of new
 >mail in each folder already tells me that I have new mail and where it is.

I got loads of mail too. And yes, I want to have an
unobtrusive warning if any of my fave mailinglist have
new contributions, and of course my known contacts get
filtered into their appropriate mailboxes. But if
you'd think a bit beyond that, you'd understand that
my inbox is the designated place for unexpected mail,
and I would like to be automatically pointed there.
lus, I would like to have some kind of overview:
Swans, so many; TheBat, so many; HippiesFromHell, so
many. The amount of new mail in each list does often
affect my curiostoty. And as for overview, I don't
think that the mailbox-list overview works --
especially since I tend to mark mail-to-be-replied-to
or -to-be-attended-to later as 'unmarked'. They will
show as nee. Exit overview.

 >    If you want it to bouce to your inbox chances
are you're not filtering and
 >are already sitting in your inbox.

I am filtering abundantly, thank you very much.

 >If you are filtering then your mail isn't
 >going to the inbox and, again, there is no need for it.

Why do I suddenly get the idea that you're arrogant?

- K -

--
"When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said
Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra.'"