In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Miguel A. Urech [MAU] wrote:'

Ritlabs seems to have an HTML editor in their list of features to
definitely support at some point. For this reason, I didn't wish to
comment on this thread. However, I find the pro-HTML arguments to be
quite disturbing to the point where I can no longer maintain my
silence. :) I therefore just *have to* jump in.

MAU> Of course! Nobody should be forced to use a feature he doesn't
MAU> want to use.

This is *exactly*, and I stress *exactly*, the point that I push. We
should always strive for this. This should be strived for in the
context of both formatting your own mail and also reading mail.

Of course, it's only in a few situations that you'll have everyone
pleased, so you'll just have to do what will likely please most of
your audience. If you're just corresponding with one individual and
you know what they want, then no problem.

Why push a format that so easily and trivially takes away the readers
*choice* of background colour and font sizes?? Until clients
incorporate ways to control this at the readers end, I cannot support
HTML use in e-mail.

MAU> I wouldn't use TB if I was forced to use PGP, but it is good the
MAU> option is there for those who want or need to use it.

Yes. If I use it, my text is just as readable as if I didn't. I don't
cripple you, as a reader of my message, in any way.

MAU> And I don't complain if the developers devote time to debugging
MAU> or improving the PGP features.

Sure.

My problem isn't one of incorporating features that don't interest me.
You're making it out to be this, and I don't think those who have
commented negatively about HTML are against it simply because it
doesn't interest them. You can't simply compare it to another language
as you did in another message ... Spanish vs English.

I'm commenting against it because there are problems with it. It
creates a lot of problems for others. Problems that I myself
experience daily and have explained in another message. Problems that
the very sender isn't aware of in the majority of circumstances in
which it occurs.

The only HTML mail I can reliably read with comfort are from those who
know how to compose it, i.e., HTML newsletters and such. Though I
still have problems with some. I then open them in my browser. The
HTML format does improve on the presentation of a newsletter or
similar document. I'd have just as quickly accepted it as an HTML
attachment anyway.

- --
  -=] allie_M [=-  {List Moderator}

MUA: TB! v1.63 Beta/4 ___ OS: WinXP Pro (SP1)