Hello Melissa,

MR> Hi Tony,

MR> On Monday, June 14, 2004, at 9:52:01 AM PST, you wrote:

>> Thanks for the link. No plugins for PGP v8.x
>> So I installed PGP 6.5.x :)

MR> Oops!  Not a good idea!
Eeks!

MR> Firstly, since TB has built-in *integration* with PGP v8.x, there's no
MR> need for a plug-in. :-)
Unfortunately that integration doesn't work. Or maybe I should say I
can't get it to work.
Encrypting/signing/decryption all work.
When I decrypt PGP wants to save to file.
Real integration would be that it replaces the encrypted text with the
plain text. Without loosing quotes/formatting etc.
The OpenPGP found in TB! integrates a lot better but has problems with
quotes. Maybe some smart trick with templates can solve that...
But it doesn't support the latest ciphers so it's useless for me :(
BTW as long as it works and handles modern ciphers it doesn't matter if
it's PGP/OpenPGP/GPG/...

MR> Secondly, PGP v6.5.8 does not have some of the vulnerability fixes
MR> that are included in v8.x, so unless there's a really good reason why
MR> you can't use v8.x, it's usually best to use the latest version.

MR> With a program like PGP, deciding whether or not to use the latest
MR> version is not just about features...it's often about having the
MR> latest security fixes as well.
Tell that on alt.security.pgp :-)
Many there will not agree with you. Some still stick with 2.6
And many don't trust the versions where PRZ was not (closely) involved
I never heard of security flaws in PGP besides academic 'weaknesses'
found in MD5

But besides of that I would use a later version, if only for new
ciphers/hashes.
I'm running an evaluation copy of TB! as you can see from the header
and I want to learn as much about TB! in that period so that I can
make a founded decision.

Thanks for your reply.
--
Best regards, Tony

One day as I came home early from work ..... I saw a guy jogging naked. I said to the
guy ....
Hey buddy .... why are you doing that for? He said .... Because you came home early.