David Wheeler wrote:
On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 09:11  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

so that bug should be fixed in CPANPLUS, in any case new Apache/test will have a $VERSION

Yes. I sent them a patch. We'll see if they apply it.

So we probably should check whether UNINST=1 is on, and if not (and if we find another test.pm in @INC) die telling users to set it on.

Yes.

I've attached something that might work (apply against the current mod_perl 2.0 cvs). I've moved the real Apache::Test and Apache::test into different files. And replaced them with:

Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm
---------------------
# this is a workaround for a collision we have on the case-insensitive
# platforms which may have Apache/test.pm from mod_perl 1.0
# installed.

require Apache::TestReal;

# this is a workaround for ExtUtils::MakeMaker::parse_version
$VERSION = do { require Apache::test_mp1; $Apache::test::VERSION };

1;
---------------------

and:

Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm
---------------------
# this is a workaround for a collision we have on the case-insensitive
# platforms which may have Apache/test.pm from mod_perl 1.0
# installed.

require Apache::test_mp1;

# this is a workaround for ExtUtils::MakeMaker::parse_version
$VERSION = do { require Apache::TestReal; $Apache::Test::VERSION; };

1;

I'm sure you meant those to be "test.pm" and "Test.pm", since that's what's in the patch.

Ooops, of course. The first one is Test.pm. The patch is correct.

However, this won't work, because of course on case-insensitive file systems, you can't have "test.pm" and "Test.pm" in the same directory. If you put them into different directories, it might work. But then you'd also have to put them into different directories in @INC, too. :-(

Sorry to bring bad news.

That's the trick. Each of these files contains both Apache::test and Apache::Test (do you see that each has require() called twice?). So it doesn't matter which one gets overwritten. Give it a try.