David Wheeler wrote:
On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 06:41  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

So we need to figure out how to enforce UNINST the old Apache/test.pm if any.

For example we could adjust MY::install to unlink it, without messing with UNINST=1, though the latter will be the simplest.

Sounds okay to me. I don't know much about the MY:: stuff in Makefile.PL.

and I haven't tried any tests that use Apache::test using the new one.

I think Geoff's Apache::Clean for mp1 uses it. So does older libapreq.

I just tested it with MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks, and it looks like it works pretty well. It failed different tests than it did with the old Apache::test that I have in the distribution (which I didn't know was failing any!), but that's likely to be some error on my part or due to a change in Apache::test rather than a flaw in the approach you're taking to the case-insensitive problem. So I would say that it works pretty well.

Cool

in our case it's then much simpler. Since we don't have lib/Apache/test.pm, we can simply test:

my $is_case_insensitive = -e catfile qw(lib Apache test.pm);

Ah, yes, of course. So there _is_ a simple way to test for it!

if it works, then yes!

Other than the convenience, Apache::Test is used in at least two books ('mod_perl cookbook', and most likely 'practical mod_perl' too. So it's a bummer to have these in Errata if we can find an acceptible workaround.

It's a trade-off. Either well-documented errata for those two books, or potential support issues going forward. But you already know that. Your call.

Sigh :( I truly don't know how to handle that so we have zero hassle in the future.

Here is a fresh suggestion, based on our ability to time travel. Instead of solving the Apache::Test problem. Let's solve the Apache::test problem.

in-core 1.28:

- rename Apache/test.pm with Apache/testold.pm in mod_perl-1.x, so internal tests work just fine (no problems here).

3rd party modules:

- s/Apache::test/Apache::testold/ and
  - require 1.28
  - or bundle Apache/testold.pm locally

I think there are very few 3rd party modules that use Apache::test, so we can hunt those down and ask their authors to re-release their modules. Even if it'll take a while for this to happen, eventually no-one will use Apache::test.

And voila problem solved.