--- Begin Message ---
-- justin ]

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 06:41  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> So we need to figure out how to enforce UNINST the old Apache/test.pm
> if any.
>
> For example we could adjust MY::install to unlink it, without messing
> with UNINST=1, though the latter will be the simplest.

Sounds okay to me. I don't know much about the MY:: stuff in
Makefile.PL.

>> and I haven't tried any tests that use Apache::test using the new one.
>
> I think Geoff's Apache::Clean for mp1 uses it. So does older libapreq.

I just tested it with MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks, and it
looks like it works pretty well. It failed different tests than it did
with the old Apache::test that I have in the distribution (which I
didn't know was failing any!), but that's likely to be some error on my
part or due to a change in Apache::test rather than a flaw in the
approach you're taking to the case-insensitive problem. So I would say
that it works pretty well.

> in our case it's then much simpler. Since we don't have
> lib/Apache/test.pm, we can simply test:
>
> my $is_case_insensitive = -e catfile qw(lib Apache test.pm);

Ah, yes, of course. So there _is_ a simple way to test for it!

> Other than the convenience, Apache::Test is used in at least two books
> ('mod_perl cookbook', and most likely 'practical mod_perl' too. So
> it's a bummer to have these in Errata if we can find an acceptible
> workaround.

It's a trade-off. Either well-documented errata for those two books, or
potential support issues going forward. But you already know that. Your
call.

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                              ICQ: 15726394
http://kineticode.com/                         Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---