--- Begin Message ---
-- justin ]

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 07:18  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

>>> my $is_case_insensitive = -e catfile qw(lib Apache test.pm);
>> Ah, yes, of course. So there _is_ a simple way to test for it!
>
> if it works, then yes!

It works:

% perl -e 'print -e "lib/Apache/test.pm" ? "insensitive\n" :
"sensitive\n"'
insensitive

> Sigh :( I truly don't know how to handle that so we have zero hassle
> in the future.

How do the various book authors feel about having this and an Erratum?

> Here is a fresh suggestion, based on our ability to time travel.
> Instead of solving the Apache::Test problem. Let's solve the
> Apache::test problem.
>
> in-core 1.28:
>
> - rename Apache/test.pm with Apache/testold.pm in mod_perl-1.x, so
> internal tests work just fine (no problems here).
>
> 3rd party modules:
>
> - s/Apache::test/Apache::testold/ and
>   - require 1.28
>   - or bundle Apache/testold.pm locally
>
> I think there are very few 3rd party modules that use Apache::test, so
> we can hunt those down and ask their authors to re-release their
> modules. Even if it'll take a while for this to happen, eventually
> no-one will use Apache::test.
>
> And voila problem solved.

I think there are quite a lot of them:

   http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Apache::test&mode=all

But IIRC, most have Apache::test in their distros, and since use C<use
lib> unshifts directory names onto the front of @INC, in most cases it
should just continue to work.

At any rate, you'll still have the problem of users installing mod_perl
1.27 after installing Apache::Test.

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                              ICQ: 15726394
http://kineticode.com/                         Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---