> for me, like for Daniel, "too big" means "TW as a web page will load
> too slow from web".

One thing that I hope to make easy in TW5 is to be able to publish
your TiddlyWiki as a folder full of static HTML files that you can
then whack onto a webserver, giving a very resilient, lightweight way
of publishing stuff.

> I think that "core plugins" idea would be good when functions like
> import and update work solidly. Also, updating core plugin for each TW
> will still require some time and routine actions. It seems for me that
> a system which allows download a plugin and "share" it between TWs
> would be more convenient to use. Optionally, it could allow to import
> all the plugins inside a TW quickly (for sending it to another person
> via mail etc).

I'm hoping to be able to support externalised tiddlers that live in
files outside the main HTML file, allowing things like plugins to be
easily shared between wikis.

> Another argument for this is a following: let's imagine that I don't
> know about RearrangeTiddlersPlugin [1], but want to be able to
> rearrange tiddlers in my TWs. Of'course it wouldn't be included into
> the core just because I find it usefull; on the other hand, when I
> find it, I'll want to incorporate it into each my TW. So, here again
> sharing is better than "preloaded plugins".

I'm thinking that the plugin library would have some very simple
criteria for inclusion:
- Useful to more than one person
- Has adequate documentation
- Has proper unit tests
- Is coded safely and reliably
- Not duplicating the functionality of an existing plugin
- The authors commitment to ongoing maintenance

In other words, the most important criteria should be around quality.

> There's another issue "about core support of mathematics". The thing
> is, a tiddler which contains formula markup is not a unit of
> information which can be distributed in TiddlyWiki world by itself,
> because it's representation will be broken in a TW without the plugin.
> The same is true for each plugin which introduces any new formatter or
> macro.

> My current idea this is that TiddlyWiki can have some mechanism which
> would track used formatters and macro handlers and put the names of
> used plugins into some field of the tiddler and another mechanism
> which would notify the user if such tiddler is displayed, but the
> plugin is not installed. But this is only the first step: it wouldn't
> have much sense if it's not easy to find the plugin (ideally TW should
> just ask to download it and then download, but this is quite not easy
> to achieve).

As you suggest, I'm hoping to be able to automatically detect missing
plugins/themes/translations, and offer to automatically download them
from tiddlywiki.com.

Best wishes

Jeremy