TT,

If you create an _element using style you may be able to go someway to
doing this. However you can also use any html tag and add the parameter
class or style as it stands.

I agree the glyphs (good name) should suggest a default function like
inline block, style, etc... but then we can define the result as we wish,
this includes on for automatic termination on \n and another on \n\n

Examples included should be examples of good practice for each of the
general glyph meanings.

You were very vocal about the integration of macro invocation via Custom
> Markup.

One reason I want this for is also consistency. If we can use elements such
as html $widget the <macroname is just a logical extension anyway.

But as you can see even just making use of existing macros can add great
value, but even more our own for purpose ones. However remember we can use
customise against the macrocall widget as well.

> I'm slightly warming to the idea.  A SERIOUS use case would be HOW to
> invoke dynamic style change via inline buttons.

Can you give an example?

> I *don't *mean simply tagging/untagging  a stylesheet tiddler.
>
> I mean a macro that changes the values of CSS declarations dynamically and
> pass new values simply (like how the Palette system works).
> THAT would, I think, be a superb way to show the power of Custom Markup.

On inline there is already the comment standard /* */ it seems to me /glyph
inline content glyph/ is quite intuitive, its easy to see if it is opening
or close in once you are familiar with it, It seems to say
Open an inline with this glyph and close with this glyph it has the
advantage as reading like a form of "markup" in the old fashioned form
"with a pen", if the text is not in a wiki with the customise feature.
This may permit nesting as well.

Perhaps we could even have /* comment */ become a new wikitext option?

If there is an explicit open and an explicit close its easier to use such
contracts to extract them from text programaticaly.

Regards
Tony