To clarify,

The following is about the use of underscore or another glyph to handle
"inline custom wiki text."

> I am not sure why you say new inline functions then you say no inline
>> customise functions.
>> Do you mean inline works with underscore, you just can not customise it?
>>

> It is able to detect start / end and nested inline definitions. But at the
> moment it only sets class-names. ... No possibility to call widgets. ...
> Will follow soon.

That is fine, thanks for clarifying

> At the moment the plans are:
>
> _element should be configurable. ... I think it will be limited to widgets
> and html inline elements
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Inline_elements>, or
> may be even a subset of them.

Great, do we need to suggest only to use inline html elements within this?
This is a good reference for html block vs
inline https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_blocks.asp

   - I plan to make extensive use of the difference in future with
   customised wikitext.

> _endString will be _not_ configurable.

Makes sense if we pre-configure the closure, and define a glyph or set of
glyphs of the "inline type"

As in my previous email perhaps some glyphs should also have a default
block type pre-set, and a few with neither set.

> _mode has to be fixed to inline

Again makes sense. that is what it is. See my last post for an attempt to
rationalise this and my objections to underscore, which I may add has
already cause problems be cause it is hard to see the difference between _,
__ and ___ if they are separated by any distance or in different fonts.

> I tend to remove __ and ___ ... since it will overwrite the existing
> __underline__ wikitext definition, which isn't usable atm.

Not sure what you mean here, but is it like my objection to undersore?

> .. The rest will be the same as the existing params

Exciting.

Tony