MegaZone wrote:

>> I do *not* want a set-top "cable box" that requires me to change 
>> channels with a Comcast remote control device.
> 
> Why not?  Functionally it is no different from what you're going to
> have to do with the DTA - using the TiVo IR blasters.  And the cable
> box may allow you to access more content than the DTA.   


Now that I understand that they're almost the same, I understand what 
you're saying, and although I have already hooked up the actual "cable 
box" to a non-DVR television set, I may decide later to switch them 
around.

My hesitance to using any type of cable box is that I am so used to 
the TiVo changing the channel internally that I believe that adding 
another layer of complexity (infrared channel-changing) leaves room 
for just one more thing to go wrong.

But I can't stop "progress," so with Charles' help, I'm going to play 
their game and hope for the best.


> A DTA is really just a kind of dumbed down cable box.  Unless they'll
> charge you for the cable box and the DTA is free, then I could see
> going with the free option.   


They're upgrading all non-cable-box customers with one free "cable 
box" and two free "digital transport adapters, so I am not out any 
more money, except for the $60.00+ dollars a month I have to pay for 
the cable in the first place, which is getting to be excessive in my 
book, but that's another topic.


>> it sounds like I have no other choice.
> 
> Sounds like it, presuming the TiVo can control the DTA of course.  I
> honestly don't know, it depends on if the IR codes the DTA uses are in
> the TiVo's IR DB.  Probably pretty good odds it uses some standard set
> of cable box IR codes though.


That's what I'm hoping for.

Thanks, as usual, for your insight and explanation.


Dave S.

--

dave6592 [at] accesscom [dot] com - http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592
Dave Schultheis, San José, Silicon Valley, Santa Clara County, CA, USA

Reply via email to