Once upon a time Glen Farney shaped the electrons to say...
> You can buy replacement IR blasters from a few sources, if you can't find 
> yours.

Yeah - SmartHome makes some whihc have suction cups around the emitter
and you can stick it right to the front of the receiving box, right
over the receiver.  Some people like those better, though I've never
reallyu had trouble with the standard units - and my Slingboxes use
similar emitters to controll my TiVos.  (If only EchoStar (Sling's
owner) and TiVo weren't fighting - the Slingbox could use TiVo's TCP
remote system on the S3/HD boxes.  They still could, but as long as
they're fighting I don't expect either side to improve
interoperability with the other.)

The S3/HD isn't a perfect world either.  Now we have Tuning Adapters.
And while they're connected over USB, which makes the communication
very reliable, I had one instance where Charter updated my TA and it
powered off - and so I missed recordings for a couple of days until I
caught the problem.  And not just on SDV channels, since it is in the
signal path it killed other channels too.  Fortunately just once so
far.

Unlike the cable box my remaining S2 uses via IR, the TA is so brain
dead simple that it doesn't have any settings for things like 'power
on channel change'.  My SA cable box has that, so even if it powers
off the first time it sees a channel change signal from the TiVo it
turns on again.

I also keep the TiVos and cable box & TA on UPSes, to reduce the
chances of them powering off due to a power blip.

-MZ
-- 
megazone-at-megazone.org  http://www.MegaZone.org/   Gweep, Geek, Human, me.
http://www.GizmoLovers.com/ http://www.Eyrie-Productions.com/ -><- Hail Eris
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171

Reply via email to