Once upon a time bertamott shaped the electrons to say...
> If I upgrade to S3/HD (which would be about $200.00) I can get/rent the
> cablecard from comcast and be done with their cable box and have the
> function of TIVO as I had it prior to the digital switch?

Correct for the most part.  Actually you get more functions - the
S3/HD has features the S2 does not have: YouTube, Netflix, Amazon HD,
direct video blog downloads, etc.  And dual-tuners for all content
analog or digital.

One thing the S3/HD loses is access to VOD/PPV content.  There is a
complex technical explanation, but the short version is that at this
time CableCARD systems don't have access to that content.  If you
really can't give it up (and remember the TiVo has Amazon, Netflix,
CinemaNow, Jaman, etc, for your OnDemand fix), you can keep a basic
cable box to use without the TiVo.

If your MSO is using Switched Digital Video in your area you may also
need a Tuning Adapter for your TiVo.  But most MSOs seem to be
offering those for free when needed - Charter does in my area.

> I don't need anything fancy - just looking to set my season passes and
> have the recording there when I sit down to enjoy.  Also like having
> TIVO record things that it *thinks* I might like.  I really do not enjoy
> the comcast DVR boxes at all.

Sounds like the S3/HD is the way to go.

-MZ
-- 
megazone-at-megazone.org  http://www.MegaZone.org/   Gweep, Geek, Human, me.
http://www.GizmoLovers.com/ http://www.Eyrie-Productions.com/ -><- Hail Eris
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171

Reply via email to