On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:

> I am in total agreement with Nick here.  "TLS 1.3" accurately describes
> what we're doing here, and it's consistent with our past naming scheme.
>
> There is no upside to changing away from 1.3, and as Nick notes, lots of
> potential downside.
>
> --Richard
>
> On Wednesday, August 31, 2016, Nick Sullivan <nicholas.sulli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am reluctant to endorse a name change from TLS 1.3 to TLS 2.0. I see a
>> few immediate issues with the proposal:
>> - it causes confusion with SSL 2.0
>> - it implies wire incompatibility with TLS 1.2
>> - it suggests there will be a forthcoming TLS 2.1 with only minor changes
>>
>> If we're dead set on bumping the major version for a mostly backwards
>> compatible protocol change, we should just drop the minor version and go
>> with TLS/2.
>>
>> Nick

FWIW, I've definitely seen real-world confusion about SSLv3 being a more
recent protocol than TLS 1.X, by organizations that should know better. If
there's interest and consensus, this could be a good opportunity to reset
the situation with TLS/2 or TLS 4.0.

I like TLS/2 aesthetically, and represents a similar level of
progress/reset that HTTP saw when it jumped from 1.1 to /2.

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>