I found going on Cymbalta very helpful even though I've remained "walking wounded" the entire time. I found it lifted my mood without interfering with my ability to address my life adjustment issues like the older generation of antidepressants would have done. This disease hit me hard even though I suffered less than most on this list because I tend to be terminally serious to begin with (my saving grace is I married a very comical person).

Now a 1 3/4 years after starting cymbalta I feel ready to go off with my doctors blessing and over the last month I have gradually reduced the 30 mg dose down to 15mg. As I began writing this letter I thought it a good Idea to encourage you to try a depression test or 2 (google it and you'll find ton's) Then realized it would be a good thing to take my own advice as a measure of my weaning success and am happy to say that even at half the lowest available commercial dose I am not back sliding mood wise. If you take a few and find you are not depressed then tell your doctor, I'm sure he or she will be reassured by your findings.

For me going an antidepressant has been a "hand up" to getting better and it's okay to ask for help! I no longer need that hand up but I acknowledge that having TM as an impairment I may need a hand up again when life throws me another curve ball. But now I know how to ask for it and how to get off of it as well!

recovering Alcoholics in AA call trying to get sober by yourself "white knuckle sobriety" we TM survivors have enough pain in our lives, we don't need to "white knuckle" our mood on top of everything else we have to face.

Mindy the Artist