On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 10:14 +0530, Vid Ayer wrote:

> On 8/24/07, Jeremy Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Would someone please direct me to this finding of 2%?  Not fighting here
> > I would just love to see it.  It may be something that helps me look at
>
> From http://www.ubuntu-women.org/,
> /quote
> An EC funded study (2006) summarized in the Flosspols report,
> indicates that about 1.5% of FLOSS community members were female,
> compared with 28% in proprietary software. The Ubuntu Census Survey
> (June 2006) also reflects a similar female ratio with 2.4% women
> actively volunteering in the Ubuntu community.
> /unquote
>

> > Who are we going to blame
> > that it  is 2%?
>
> Do we need to blame someone ? and will it help solve anything ? IMO,
> just recognising and finding a way out if necessary is a positive
> approach. YMMV.
>

> > I would personally buy you one.  I think that is a great idea too.
>
> Thanks :-)
>

> > I am a director of network engineering for a VoIP and ISP company and I
> > would hire a woman IT person before a man It person if I had two people
> > in front of me because in my experience women do their work great and
> > they don't   let much ego get in their way.
>
> I'll amen that !!
>
> --
> Vid
> http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/VidAyer

Melissa had directed me to this study also.  Thank you both for sending
me to the site.  I have finally read the documents on this and I have to
say that I have more understanding of what you are talking about but the
study has a lot of flaws.  First off out of the industry there are very,
very few people that would cooperate in a study like this.  Many because
they are just too darn busy.  So, IMHO, I don't think think the numbers
could ever be right.  Second, because I have been in this industry for
as long as I have I have seen many many many women excel and love the
industry.  Have they had some difficulties with a minority of "asses"
that may be educated in technology?  Surely....  but educated in the
technology doesn't mean educated in morality.  All of the great minded
women that I have dealt with have said that they give very little
thought to it because these are close minded people and know matter how
hard you fight the system and them they will more than likely not ever
change.  There are too many good minded people in the industry to make
the minority be a problem to them.   What point am I making.  No matter
how many studies or how well you know what you are doing there is always
going to be someone that doesn't get it.  Back to my original
e-mails.... These close minded people have no power over someone that
knows who they are.  Male or female.  Are there going to be more women
move toward technology?  Maybe, maybe not.  Do I want there to be?
Anyone that is qualified to do the job at hand has my thumbs up.  If
they are not quite qualified but have the intention to be, they get a
thumbs up.  The ones that saturate this market with half heartedness,
that I think is plaguing  the industry, should be targeted and relieved
of there positions.  Most of the people that women are dealing with in
the issue we are discussing come from this group of people.  Why?
Because they know they don't know what they should and feel better by
trying to bring down their peers.   I have more to say on this but I
really need to work.  I will read the documents from the study again in
case I missed something.  Just remember before you flame me.  I am for
women growing in this industry...

Jeremy