On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 14:30 +0530, Vid Ayer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just saw this longish thread and was just going to read it and
> delete until I read this .... so please take my .02 paise with a pinch
> of salt !!
>

> On 8/20/07, Jeremy Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Holy crap. What kind of world do we live in when a freaking t-shirt has to
> > be analyzed for political correctness.
>
> Its not about being PC, but about a single individual volunteer/human
> being (here many women and men) finding a typical characterisation
> offensive and choosing to voice themselves. Surely women can speak up
> for themselves cant they !

I love that any of us can speak up.  I actually really like this
argument because it is making me think.  I still haven't been convinced
that anything was wrong with the T, but I am still thinking about it.
If it said for women would it have made a difference?

> > Did anyone see the boobs on the
> > picture of this t-shirt… ? I would think that would mean that this t-shirt
> > would be for ladies.
>
> Its about singling a particular gender and drawing attention to them
> and also the wording. ".. for ladies" tends to imply (even if
> unintentional) that women dont use Linux. That is a problem as we are
> still a minority (around 2% in FOSS).

Would someone please direct me to this finding of 2%?  Not fighting here
I would just love to see it.  It may be something that helps me look at
this differently but I am not sure it can.  Who are we going to blame
that it  is 2%?  I am doing my part my daughter is two and can make it
through many of the levels of supertux...   Do we blame teachers?  See
the thing is IMHO that more women would be like you if you don't
complain about this t-shirt and let these IMers in high school who are
in a large part women/girls see the shirts out there and ask what it
means?  I have converted at least 10 Ladies in my family alone.  4 of my
wife's friends (women) and they would never go back. I have sent them
all this link and they think it is crazy that there is even an issue.
Two women helped come up with it that I saw in an e-mail...

> > I think everyone in the Ubuntu Community is awesome no
> > matter what their gender, race, religion, etc…
>
> I agree with you 101% .... and the community is what drew me to Ubuntu
> 3 years ago. I dont even work in the IT industry and yet volunteer
> simply coz I like the community. Talking of Linux in my country
> (India), hardly any women volunteer in the Linux community from India.
> We are a handful volunteers (almost negligible) while the Indian IT
> industry has above 40% women working (read, paid workers). Its not
> related to this issue but does not help making it an inclusive effort
> either.
>

> > A t-shirt is not to hurt feelings. It is to brag that you are part of this
> > community.
> > I would wear "Ubuntu for blonde haired, blue eyed, male, that likes to cook
> > and
> > ski on his free time" if it would make a difference. The neat thing about
> > freedom
>
> ... but I would still not wear any t-shirt with "...for  ladies"
> splashed across. I would prefer "Ubuntu-Women.org" on it instead.

I would personally buy you one.  I think that is a great idea too. I
believe that we should have the main great saying "linux for human
beings" and many different sayings under it.

"Linux for Human Beings....
Linux for dumb people..."
Just kidding on the second line but it still shouldn't hurt anyones
feelings because I call myself big dummy all the time.

I am a director of network engineering for a VoIP and ISP company and I
would hire a woman IT person before a man It person if I had two people
in front of me because in my experience women do their work great and
they don't   let much ego get in their way.

thanks for listening again...

Jeremy