From: Nux! [mailto:n...@li.nux.ro]
Sent: 25 November 2014 01:06
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Xenserver and CEPH ?

Slightly pissed at the "switched to Openstack" remark.
Using Openstack as a means to "force/suggest" new features into ACS is silly. I
also want KVM snapshotting to happen, but I think there are more important
things to fix first.

In my personal view, I wish ACS stopped completely development on new features
for a while and made the current features rock solid.

I know we need new features to keep developers happy who would otherwise slit
their veins from boredom, but I personally do not care that much for S3
compatibility or SDN or what not. When my deployment will be large enough to
need that I'll probably have enough money to develop them myself (and
contribute them back).

Most people do not need FreeIPA or who knows what other bells and whistles.
I do like Openstack, I know & like some people involved with it and I use(d) it
(was even a mod on the RDO forum), but I don't want the bloody kitchen sink in
my servers. I want peace of mind and reliable services for my customers who
also don't give a rat's arse about said features; all they want is their
application or site to work 24/7.

Personally I want everything that we have NOW fixed, polished; usage stats
working (with SG zones), proper backup and restore of volumes, security groups
finalised (hello IPv6, it's almost 2015!), no silly GUI mistakes or typos in
new releases and so on.

Competing with Openstack head on is a dead end, stop chasing! Everybody pushes
all sorts of stuff into it which takes a lot of time, effort and money to get
working, if at all.
Average Joe will not use that in production, just like he won't use Gentoo,
Fedora or Archlinux in production, it sucks; you use battle tested stuff like
CentOS or Ubuntu LTS.

For Average "IT manager" Joe to be capable of using Openstack in production
companies like Mirantis or eNovance need to take their time, freeze it, slow it
the fsck down, polish it, decide which features can't be used actually (many, I
bet!), package it in a sexy wrapping and then put it up for sale (or download).

Basically they'll have to build a Cloudstack. We're already there! Sort of ...
:-)

/rant

Nux!
www.nux.ro