On 10/02/2008 03:48 PM, H.S. wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/02/2008 09:25 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> [snips]
>>> could not find the book. It is very important to me to be able to look
>>> up books by ISBN or LOC number and have Zotero add them to my
>>> collection. Otherwise I have to type all the information in manually,
>>> which is a major effort considering that I have several thousand books
>>> to catalog.
>>
>> Have you considered looking at an opensource library system instead?
>> Perhaps something like koha etc:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22library+system%22+%22open+source%22
>>
>> Even it's for personal use, you might find it easier to use MySQL and an
>> opensource library frontend that is specifically designed for this sort
>> of thing rather than trying to enter everything in OOo.
>

> I have installed Koha in the recent past for somebody. I can confirm
> that Zotero can detect a bib item on a Koha library catalog page and
> show an icon in the URL bar that lets you add the item to your Zotero
> database.
>
> However, installing Koha just for this purpose (to maintain a list of
> books to be in turn maintained in Zotero) seems to be extreme overkill
> and redundant.

I don't know... "I have several thousand books to catalog" sounds like a
job for an oss library package to me. I doubt that a library with
"several thousand books" would attempt to catalog simply via OOo and
Zotero; and gmu.edu probably would recommend the same.

Then again, I've no prior experience in doing this so I can certainly be
wrong & you seem to have good recent experience. Last time I installed
koha was about 6 months ago, but it was only for
testing/curiosity/learning purposes. :-)