On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:10:40 -0700
NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> Have you tried any of the others listed on the above link?
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Bibliographic_Software_and_Standards_Information>

I did try Tellico, and also Alexandria, which is not on the above site. Tellico
and Alexandria are what I start out trying. Both have the ability to look up a
book on the web and automatically grab the information (title, author,
publisher, etc.). I settled on Tellico, as Alexandria is a bit buggy. But as
far as I can tell, there is not an OOo plugin for either of them. I did not try
any of the others. I think most of them are proprietary and cost money. And I
don't know if there are OOo plugins for them.

I really need the ability to go out and get the data just from the ISBN/ISSN
number. It saves volumes of typing. Moreover, the data it gets is typically
from the publisher, which means it is generally pretty free of typos and
inaccuracies.

As far as I know, only Tellico, Alexandria and Zotero have the ability to look
up a work on the web and automatically populate the bibliography database
fields.

I have to reiterate the coolness of the Zotero plugin for OOo. Zotero is an
add-on for Firefox, and then there is a separate OOo plugin that you install in
the OOo Extension Manager. Firefox has to be running in order to use the OOo
plugins.

Say you are writing an academic paper. You wish to refer to a book or an
article. You found the item in your university library and have already added
it to your to your library in Zotero. (Adding the item to your Zotero library
is done just by clicking on an icon in the web page where the item is
displayed.) So when you want to enter a citation for the work in your paper you
just open the toolbar for the Zotero plugin in Writer, click on the citation
icon, and it pops up a window displaying all the items in your library. You
select the book or the article, add a page number if you wish, and hit OK. The
plugin automatically adds the citation in the academic style you have chosen
(APA for me), right in the line of text you are typing. Here are examples of
citations from my library in APA style:

(Lasnik & Uriagereka, 1988, p. 28)
(Heny, 1981, p. 102)

Later you get to the end of the article and it's time to create your References
page. You just hit the bibliography icon in the Zotero toolbar, and presto, you
get this inserted automatically into your document:

Heny, F. (1981). Binding and Filtering, Croom Helm Linguistics Series. London:
Croom Helm.
Lasnik, H., & Uriagereka, J. (1988). A Course in GB Syntax: Lectures on Binding
and Empty Categories. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.

Note that the citiations above were entered correctly without the author's
initials, per APA style. And the references entries were done with correct data
and punctuation as well.

Now let's suppose I'm editing my paper and decide to delete the citation for
Henry. The instant I delete the citation in the text the reference entry will
be also deleted from the references section. Or suppose I decide to add a
citation for another work. Again, the entry for the work will be automatically
added in the references section. This is an enormous timesaver for academic
work. I am really impressed. I will never laboriously type out a References
section for a paper again.

There are a few issues that need work in Zotero, but it's pretty cool as it is.
I have decided that it is what I am going to use. And if I ever change my mind,
Zotero can export my library to any of various other programs.