On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:30:58 -0700
NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> Thanks! I reckon that you've just caused me to go out & learn something
> else/new... I've my college son (2nd year) on Ubuntu & OOo (no
> Microsoft) and if I can figure out how to use this properly then I'll
> have another tool to add to his system. Besides that, it's always cool
> when dad shows him how to use new features/addons to OOo :-)

Assuing he is an OOo evangelist, this will help hi promote OOo among
his fellow students. I do that all the time. So far I have had little
success, but I am planning on showing off OOo with Zotero in the hopes
that it will gain converts.

I should add that my big problem promoting OOo is the incredible
computer illiteracy of fellow students. I suggested Ubuntu (live CD) to
a graduate student and she said "I can't install any more programs on
my computer because my husband used up all the RAM."

<sigh>

Regarding success promoting OOo, it would be really cool if I could
obtain large quantities (100+) of OOo on CD complete with pretty
graphics and stuff. In my experience, when I hand someone a CD with OOo
they are not impressed with the "OOo" label that I wrote on the CD with
a sharpie. Professional looking CDs are essential. Moreover, as a Linux
zealot, I find that getting someone into open source software is best
done by starting them with something like OOo. Changing to Linux comes
later.