On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In terms of the policy, I think it should be that our latest LTS
> release must be available. If they have other packages available that
> is fine but the latest LTS must be one of them. In terms of the types
> of exceptions I could envision, perhaps we will discover it is really
> difficult to package the latest LTS for certain older distros and so
> they need to provide an older version. I would be OK with an exception
> like this but I would prefer to have the packagers raise it to us.
>
> Mark

I'm not opposed to this, but it might be a little tricky for OS
distros that freeze package versions. Debian for example. I haven't
checked what the current stable (bullseye) has, but I'm still on the
oldstable (buster) which supplies 1.10.x. I'm running a recent trunk
build though, heh heh :-)

I'm not proposing an exception (and I'm not a packager); rather I'm
suggesting to consider a package compliant as long as it was a
supported LTS release at the time of the packager's version freeze
and security issues continue to be patched.

Thoughts?

Nathan