On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 11:01 AM Nathan Hartman
<hartman.nat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 9:25 AM Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In terms of the policy, I think it should be that our latest LTS
> > release must be available. If they have other packages available that
> > is fine but the latest LTS must be one of them. In terms of the types
> > of exceptions I could envision, perhaps we will discover it is really
> > difficult to package the latest LTS for certain older distros and so
> > they need to provide an older version. I would be OK with an exception
> > like this but I would prefer to have the packagers raise it to us.
> >
> > Mark
>

> I'm not opposed to this, but it might be a little tricky for OS
> distros that freeze package versions. Debian for example. I haven't
> checked what the current stable (bullseye) has, but I'm still on the
> oldstable (buster) which supplies 1.10.x. I'm running a recent trunk
> build though, heh heh :-)
>
> I'm not proposing an exception (and I'm not a packager); rather I'm
> suggesting to consider a package compliant as long as it was a
> supported LTS release at the time of the packager's version freeze
> and security issues continue to be patched.

My feeling is that our policy should focus on the situation where we
are linking to an external website where the user downloads some
package from them. For the Linux/BSD distros, and even Homebrew and
MacPorts on MacOS, we are just telling the user that these package
managers offer Subversion and maybe we list the commands to run in
order to install the package. I do not think we need to police the
version as heavily in this case. Especially with the Linux distros
since they selectively backport patches so their version never
perfectly matches ours and the distro provides support for their
packages.

That said, the only problematic links on our current page are the ones
from CollabNet and WanDisco. I have not verified WanDisco I am just
taking the word of the people in this thread. Given that both of these
were vendors trying to sell support and requiring registration to even
get the download, I think we should just remove all of those links. If
either of them ask to be put back we can tell them the requirement is
that they offer the latest LTS version.

The other links on the page all generally look good already.

Mark