OK, I have a *procedural* resolution to my issue, however I do not yet understand the underlying functional mechanism to my satisfaction. For those who only care about the bottom line, here it is:

* If you want to use Tomcat as a Windows service, use the .zip Tomcat
* distribution, not the .tar.gz distribution.

I think it is worth elaborating some though. If anyone out there has influence on the build and/or documentation, I hope you will read further.

1. Rainer Jung suggested that the behavior difference I see between the two distros could be expained by line-ending differences/incompatibilities (particularly in config files). This does NOT appear to be true in my case. I've looked at the .xml files in the /conf directory, and they have *nix style line endings in BOTH distros.

1.1. The fact that the .tar.gz version is so close to correct on Windows, makes me hope to eventually track down the precise cause of failure; it might be interesting. Remember, I have seen Tomcat work flawlessly for more than a month when run as an app, and the Windows service installs without visible error. It is only that the server won't return pages when run as a service.

2. If the .tar.gz archive is targeted for *nix only, it sure would be nice if this was stated explicitly on the download page: http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi

2.1. I followed the README link -- it only goes to a page that says "Hosted by Linux resources" 2.2. In the file RUNNING.txt, there is also no explicit mention of differences. In fact, I get the strong impression that both are equivalent since the instructions just say to use different startup scripts for the different platforms. At very least, can I suggest adding my experience as "Troubleshooting" issue (4) at the bottom of this file?

3. From what I am seeing, it appears that the .zip and .tar.gz archives were actually created from different source trees, as oposed to just being different compressions of the same source. The differences are minor, but not attributable to tar version incompatibilities, for example. If that is true, then I suggest NOT adding files with extension .exe to the .tar.gz build/distribution. Doing so seems like an implicit confirmation that the distro is meant to be run on Windows.

For those of you who think that I deserved this for being silly enough to extract the .tar.gz distro on Windows in the first place, well, maybe. I'll definitely use .zip in the future whenever there is an option. But keep in mind that I've used tar quite a bit on Windows -- I haven't seen anything like this before. When I first downloaded Tomcat, I remember thinking it was really cool that it could be offered as a platform independent "Binary Distribution" thanks to Java. And man, the failure mode is subtle -- I didn't see it until after a month of use.

Chuck, sorry to report such a silly resolution. But I'm still kind of glad for the experience. Although a lot of your advice turned out not to be related to my problem, I'm a better Tomcat user as a result. Thanks for your patience.

-andrew