Hi Chuck,

Thanks for all the rapid responses. I guess it's good to know that I haven't done anything blatantly stupid; unfortunately, I don't seem to be closer to a solution.

What account owns Tomcat's bin directory?

File/Directory permissions was another one of those things I checked right away. The Tomcat directory is owned by Administrator, gives Administrator full control, and I've made sure that these permissions propagate to all subfolders and files.

Does your the administrator account you're using have update access to the Windows registry?

The answer to that has to be yes. I use regedit a lot, and other programs would have failed to install if not.

Is it "the" Administrator account, or one that's a member of the Administrators Group?

It is "the" Administrator account.

Can you try running tomcat6.exe from a command line and specify a known valid account?

I suppose, but most of the currently running services Log On As "Local System" (so I guess that account is as "valid" as any for running services), and you say the Tomcat service uses "Local System". I do notice that the "Log On As" user is not specified in the command line that gets executed, but I assume "Local System" is the default. Please let me know if this is not the case and I'll try adding a --User="Local System" parameter.

Are you sure you're not running on Vista?  (Just kidding :-)

Don't get me started.... ;-)

BTW, the documentation mentions procrun.exe, but I don't find that in the distribution. Is it correct that tomcat6.exe is just procrun.exe renamed?

andrew