> From: andrew [mailto:ad...@ecpcorp.net]
> Subject: Re: service.bat install failure (Windows, v 6.0.18)
>
> I've seen the Tomcat doc page explaining tomcat6w.exe
> (it's just a rename of tomcat6.exe, correct?),

No, it's a completely different program; it's a GUI tool to manage the Tomcat
service.

> I haven't used JConsole, or JVisualVM before;

Use JConsole first, and run it locally on the same machine that Tomcat is
running on.  Set the -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote in the Java Options space
of the Java tab of tomcat6w.exe (or in the CATALINA_OPTS environment variable
when running via startup.bat).  Don't be afraid to click on things.  Look at
the Threads tab to see who's doing what.

JVisualVM provides most of what JConsole does, along with thread and heap
profiling, but I find it a bit more confusing.  Best thing is to just try them,
then ask questions for things you can't figure out.

There's doc for both on the java.sun.com web site, but I don't find it as
helpful as just trying it.

> Looking at the docs, I figured that installing the TC
> service would be a piece of cake

It should be; we still have no idea why your particular environment is causing
problems.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.