On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cude>>In slide 7 of that pdf that Lomax pointed to, the current density is
shut off at about 610 (units?) and the excess power immediately goes to
zero.

Rothwell> This cell is not in heat after death. Other cells have been.

That's what I said. I was commenting on the data Lomax referred to, and said
the immediate drop in power seemed implausible if it was from D-Pd,
especially because other experiments claim heat after death.

> When I tell there are red birds, do not point to black ones and say that
proves red ones do not exist.

Maybe you weren't paying attention. Lomax referred to the Mckubre data in a
particular pdf on your site, and I said in that data, which is held in such
high regard, it doesn't make sense that the power drops so quickly when the
current is shut off, particularly in light of heat after death claims. I
never denied heat after death.

> >the red excess power data points overlap the green current density line
as they both fall to zero. Am I reading that graph wrong?

> No, you are looking at the wrong graph. Look at one that shows heat after
death.

We were discussing a particular experiment in a particular report. Is there
a graph in that report of that 1994 experiment that reports heat after
death?

>> If that had been shown already, and given that scientists are in general
not convinced of CF, you could not have made that statement.

> Most of the scientists I have encountered who are not convinced have never
heard of heat after death.

Unequivocal revolutions have a way of getting around. If no scientist could
possibly deny the results, then they would not keep mum about it. The DOE
panel would have heard about it, but they were not convinced. So that
contradicts your statement. Sixty minutes at least, considering they were
pretty sympathetic, might have mentioned it. But on a show advocating CF,
with consultants like McKubre and Dardik, there was not a word about heat
after death or heat without input in gas loading.

>> In the heat after death or gas-loading, the cells or chambers are still
connected, and in most of those cases, it is impossible to be sure what the
input is and what is being measured.

> It is quite easy to be sure of this. In an electrochemical cell after
boil-off, there is no connection between the anode and cathode, so it is
physically impossible for current to flow. Also, all cells are equipped with
sensitive, modern voltmeters and ammeters, which show with absolute
certainty that there is no input power. Few phenomena in nature can be
measured with as much precision or certainty as electricity, so it is
strange that you claim "it is  impossible to be sure" of electric power
measurements.

In a demonstration to outsiders who can't even see what's connected, it's
impossible to be sure what the measurements mean. And it would be so easy to
demonstrate it conclusively. Take that electrode after the boil off and put
it in an isolated thermos, and measure see how long it can keep it boiling
or whatever. Take that thermos with nothing connected to it, and the water
boiling madly, to the DOE, and see if they don't pay attention.

>> What I want is, if Dardik's electrode is really generating a half a watt
of power for days without input, take that electrode out, keep it inside the
liquid if necessary, and put it in a separate beaker or clear thermos with
100 mL of water on a separate table far away from all those wires and tubes
and meters and complications.

> What you want would not work, for reasons beyond the scope of the
discussion.

Right. Because the fact that CF doesn't work is beyond the scope of this
discussion. Cop out.

> But what makes you think that wires, tubes and meter are "complications"?
This is rather like saying that the spark plugs and pistons in an automobile
engine are frivolous add-ons we can easily dispense with.

Well if you claimed they weren't needed to move the car, then yes.

I know that not all phenomena are simple to demonstrate in a visual way, and
some measurements are indirect, and then we have to depend on
reproducibility and so on.

But heat can be demonstrated simply and visually, and when wild claims are
made that could be but aren't demonstrated simply, then it looks
suspicious.

>> This would be an excellent demonstration for the likes of 60 minutes. But
instead they showed Duncan doing calculations in a notebook. And they didn't
even mention heat after death.

> What would make a good demonstration, and whether "60 Minutes" mentioned
something or not has no bearing on the discussion.

Yes it does. 60 minutes looks for visual and dramatic things to entertain
and interest their audience. You claimed they exist, but none were used.

> Dardik published it.

In a conference proceeding, with very limited description of the experiment.
For a revolutionary result, that doesn't wash.

> In a scientific discussion, what the mass media says, shows, or does is
not admissible evidence.

The discussion was about an experiment I would find convincing. It's not a
court of law. To me, a complex experiment like Dardik's in a conference
proceeding is even less convincing than an obvious visual demonstration
could be on 60 minutes, if your claims were valid. In any case, Dardik's
experiment does not come close to satisfying the description I gave for a
convincing demonstration.

>> Same goes for the gas-loading experiments. In Arata's experiment the
device stays at a constant temperature a degree or two above ambient, but
ambient wasn't monitored . . .

> Yes, it was. It was not recorded by the computer in the first experiment,
but it was monitored.

And yet you questioned it in your report.

>> and the thing was still connected to pressure pumps etc.

>What bearing does that have on the calorimetry?

Well together with the "etc", it makes it more complicated than necessary.
Look, you can twist what you said around, but it's clear from what you said
that you recognize the value of an isolated device palpably warmer than its
surroundings, and your lamenting with Mallove for a demonstration suggests
you know it hasn't been done. You're trying to cover it up with sophistry.