On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The data clearly shows that some cells produce heat after death, and other
do not. What does not make sense here is your demand that all cells do
this.

It's not a demand. It's an identification of an inconsistency.

Lomax referred to a specific experiment, and even a specific slide from a
presentation. This was held up as particularly good evidence for CF. I
examined that slide and was puzzled by one aspect. Here's what I wrote:

"One problem I have with those results. When the current shuts off, the heat
dies immediately. It seems implausible that the deuterium would diffuse out
of the Pd that quickly. I would expect a more gradual decline. *Especially
with all the reports of heat after death*. That points to artifact to me."

So, given that some cells show heat after death, meaning the deuterium does
not diffuse out of the Pd right away, how could it be that in this
particularly good experiment, the deuterium could diffuse out seemingly in a
matter of seconds. It suggests that the explanation being used to explain it
is wrong. That there's an artifact.

> Nature does work the way you demand it should. This is experimental
science. You have to take the results as they are, and not dictate what they
should be according to your theories.

Yes. Obviously. But one picks theories that are consistent with results and
rejects those that aren't.

>> We were discussing a particular experiment in a particular report. Is
there a graph in that report of that 1994 experiment that reports heat after
death?

> No, because that experiment did not produce heat after death, as I noted
previously. You need to stop demanding what is not there.

Not a demand. An observation. If deuterium in Pd produces heat, why does the
heat vanish instantly when the current is shut off? In this experiment.

> You need to stop pointing to black birds as proof that red ones do not
exist.

That's not even close to what I said. I am not saying heat after death has
not been observed because it was not observed in this experiment. I'm saying
if heat after death occurs, and is attributed to the deuterium in the Pd,
then it would seem implausible that the heat would vanish in seconds in
another experiment. So, I'm questioning the attribution of the observation,
not the observation itself.

It's more like you pointing to flying red birds and claiming that it proves
they are lighter than air, and me pointing out that I caught some black
birds, and weighed them, and they are heavier than air, and they can fly
too.

>> The DOE panel would have heard about it, but they were not convinced.

> Some of panel members were convinced, and some are not. The ones who are
not convinced made logical and factual errors similar to the ones you are
making.

Only one said the evidence for nuclear reactions was conclusive, but *some*
not being convinced is all I need for my argument.

You said:

"I do not think any scientist will dispute this. ...An object that remains
palpably warmer than the surroundings is as convincing as anything can be…"

It was hypothetical, and written after the DOE panel, so you could not have
said that if you thought such a demo had been available.

You can squirm all you want. You effectively admitted that an isolated
device palpably warmer than the surroundings would be a good demo, and that
it has not yet been done.

> It is not possible for you to see what is connect to what inside of a
Tokamak reactor, or in a robot explorer on Mars.

Quite right. I said as much. Many experiments require indirect observations,
and second hand observations, and in those cases, reproducibility,
theoretical consistency and predictability, scientific unanimity or at least
consensus all work together to build credibility.

But some claims, if real, can be demonstrated in a simple and obvious way.
CF and heavier than air flight are two examples. When such demonstrations
should be possible but are absent, and there is no reproducibility,
theoretical consistency, or scientific consensus, then it is reasonable to
reject the claims until better evidence comes along.

> It is true that a few researchers do lie, and some are incompetent, but in
a group of professional researcher as large as the cold fusion cohort it is
statistically impossible for them all to be incompetent.

It's only about twice the size of the polywater cohort, and probably smaller
than the homeopathy cohort, and certainly smaller than the UFO cohort, so
I'm not buying it. There are many examples of large groups of scientists
being wrong. And to repeat, if CF is right, then a much larger group of
scientists would have to be incompetent.

>>> What you want would not work, for reasons beyond the scope of the
discussion.

>> Right. Because the fact that CF doesn't work is beyond the scope of this
discussion. Cop out.

> I am not obligated to explain every single technical detail to you, or to
anyone else.

Of course you're not. And I'm not obligated to believe Dardik's tiny
electrode produces .5 W for 4 days without any power input, if he can't take
it out and prove it in a thermos of water.

>> But heat can be demonstrated simply and visually. . .

> It can, and it has been.

Not as simply and visually as you have described and wished for. Not simply
and visually enough to persuade a panel of experts.