On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:
>

>> It is clear to me that Rossi does not want it to be easy to determine.
>> Everyone needs to understand that.  He is using misdirection to his
>> advantage.
>>

> During the 18 hour test in February, the machine clearly went out of
> control. If I had something like that I would not run it as hot as it can
> go.

Either that or it had a short-lasting hidden extra source of energy.

> In this case, running with only one cell enabled produces a clear signal.
> I do not see any advantage to running all three, if the purpose is to do a
> convincing demonstration. People were not convinced by 8 kW will not be
> convinced by 24 kW, or 24 MW for that matter.

Would you be convinced by 0.08 milliwatts?  The purpose of running a
convincing demonstration is to back up your claims.  Rossi claims a
tabletop fusion reactor that produces typically 10 kW continuously with 1/6
the power input and no fuel charge for 6 months or more.  Running for three
hours or so at reduced power is not convincing.  And that's before you get
to all the argument about measuring the enthalpy  -- arguments which Rossi
could easily squelch and hasn't.

> The duration was also long enough to satisfy any rational demand for
> proof. Mary Yugo and others keep saying the run was too short even though
> it was 24 times longer than anyone needs to be sure the effect is real. She
> sets arbitrary goals, and then whenever Rossi meets one of those goals, she
> sets another. There is no technical justification for demanding higher
> power or a longer run.

It's what Rossi claims he can do easily, for cripe's sake!  The
justification need not go beyond: Rossi said he could do it.  Well OK,
let's see it then.

> Both are far, far beyond what anyone else has accomplished, and far beyond
> any rational doubt. There is not the slightest chance the self-sustaining
> event can be explained with stored heat or chemistry.
>
> I suppose if Yugo had watched Wilbur Wright's flight on Sept. 9, 1908
> lasting 57 minutes, 31 seconds, she would have said: "I will not believe he
> can really fly until he goes for an hour!!!" Then, later that day when he
> flew for 1 hour 2 minutes, she would say: "I will not believe it until he
> flies for TWO HOURS."

This is another weird analogy.  Rossi is no Wright brother.  If anything
he's more of a Wrong brother (if that's too sarcastic, consider it
withdrawn).  What Rossi claims isn't the equivalent of a Wright Flyer.
It's more like a 747 or an F18.  And he can't even prove conclusively that
it ever left the ground.