On May 27, 2013, at 8:12 PM, Kevin O'Malley wrote:

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

The essential question is, Does a BEC form in any material?
***Yes, according to the 2 links I posted.

Kevin, did you actually read this paper (
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1203.1261v1.pdf)? The conditions have no relationship to those in PdD at room temperature. The BEC is created in vacuum at low temperatures using Rb atoms.

Various applications of this concept have been applied, but not to hydron atoms. ***We both already agreed to that, so I don't understand the need to repeat it. This hasn't been applied for H2 or H1 or D2 gas because it is difficult and expensive. Oh, and there's that added wrinkle where LENR starts to become active, really messing with scientists' heads... ;-)

In fact, when BEC are formed near absolute zero, they consist of neutral atoms in a vacuum. In the case of hydrons, they are ions located in stable sites in a structure. Moving these ions into a common site where a BEC might form takes energy.
***Okay, nothing particularly standing out in these statements.

If you think these statements are not important, than you understand nothing about materials science or BEC. Creation of an assembly of atoms requires energy to compensate for the entropy change. This is basic thermodynamics. This energy is not sufficient in the formation of a BEC for it to occur much above absolute zero, where the entropy energy is small. This means a BEC cannot form between atoms much above absolute zero.

Formation of a BEC does not supply much energy, as theory shows.
***But Y E Kim's theory shows that the formation of a BEC could generate fusion, which does supply much energy.

Kim only has a theory based on the assumption that a BEC can form. He has shown no proof that the assumption is correct.

I do not see any advantage to pretending something might happen that conflicts with basic theory ***Because Y E Kim's theory fits the facts pretty good right now. Anyone's LENR theory will conflict with what's out there. Including yours.

His theory does not fit the facts. With more time, I can list the conflicts if you are interested.

Yes, some theories conflict with more facts and observations than others. At this stage in the process, you can choose what you want to believe. Nevertheless, after reading all the theories, most of the published papers describing the behavior of CF, and applying my knowledge of materials science and nuclear physics, I choose to believe my theory. I have described exactly why I believe my theory and suggested many predictions that can be used to test it. That is all I or anyone can do. It is now up to the experimentalist to test the predictions and find out who is correct. Further discussion will not solve the problem.

and experience unless this is the only possibility.
***What a bizarre requirement.  Where does it come from?

This is not the only possibility. In fact, better ideas have been suggested. ***The best ideas are the ones immediately testable. Kim's theory doesn't look all that superior to others in this respect, but recent developments in BECs suggest that his theory is certainly worth looking into.

How would you propose to test his theory?

Ed Storms

Ed Storms