*I see no "demons" in play here. I see very little "dust" either. What CEO
when faced with the realities of a competitive environment, hasn't said the
equivalent of: Accept no other false products other than our own. I think I
read something like that in a book somewhere. *

In real world terms engineers are pathologically honest people. A colleague
of mine told me as story:  he told the customer for whom he was working the
whole truth and nothing but the truth in his dealing with that customer in
contravention to the direct orders that he received from his bean counter
boss. My colleague thought that the customer should know the truth and not
be eventually screwed over.

In short order, my colleague lost his job, was banned, and was never
rehired. As a real word prerogative and a practical life lessen, when
staying in business and making money is more important than dispensing the
truth, the pursuit of truth suffers.