Hi,

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014, at 12:30, John Mark Vandenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:46 AM, svetlana <svetl...@fastmail.com.au> wrote:
> > John Mark Vandenberg wrote:
> >
> >> i.e. specifically asking
> >> previously highly productive volunteers who have stopped contributing
> >> whether they feel the increase in funds has not resulted in their work
> >> being adequately supported?
> >
> > Thanks for your great wording, John.
> >
> > I belong to this category (somewhat). I stopped contributing because I felt
> > that my work is not adequately supported. I felt the need to develop some
> > software. I have rather limited free time however, and I've been in the
> > "not highly productive on-wiki" phase for over 3 years now.
> >
> > Incidentally, one of the entities that doesn't adequately support my work
> > is my local chapter. It had been extremely hostile toward Wikimedia
> > movement and after learning how it works I had no motivation to continue
> > working with Wikimedia projects. How poorly the Wikimedia Foundation itself
> > works wasn't the biggest obstacle (I found it mildly approachable and was
> > (and am!) a tiny bit happy with it).
>
> Have you looked into the funding situation of your local chapter?
> Does it have large cash reserves and large predicable revenue flows?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is not a problem with how it is funded. It
organizes events which miss the point.

I would be happy to be more specific, but I will do so at a later point, not
here and not now; what I was saying was only that *if* we were to do such
survey, we would need to *also* ask people how happy they are with their
Chapters activities and adequate support from them. The funding banner is for
them all, not just WMF, after all.

--
svetlana