On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Mark Vojkovich wrote:

>> Has anyone investigated the root cause of why there is no fixed font in
>> the first place -- like why the font server isn't running?  Was it never
>> started (a vendor-specific configuration problem), or did it crash (a
>> robustness problem with xfs)?
>>

>   That's a good question.  I always assumed it was a configuration
>problem since all the reports came from specific versions of
>Red Hat.

If someone can take this beyond assumptions to actual proof of it
being a Red Hat packaging or configuration flaw, I'd be glad to
investigate it.  Otherwise I don't consider it to be Red Hat
specific.  It very well however could be caused by a specific
font or somesuch, and if that's the case, reproducing it on
another distro would be a matter of installing the faulty font.

>    Regardless, I think there is a fundamental robustness
>problem with the configuration used by these vendors.  There
>is no reason to not have BOTH a font server and explicit
>font paths in the XF86Config.  That way the X-server still
>runs if there isn't a font server, but if the font server
>is listed first, it will get used by default if it is
>running.

Font paths are created dynamically as optional font packages are
installed.  When a font package is installed, it's font path is
added to the xfs configuration, and xfs is sent a SIGUSR1 to
reload it's config file.

The work required to change the tools to add fontpaths to both
xfs and the XFree86 config file are nontrivial and would be a
major change to incorporate into the distribution for no real
benefit other than speculative.  Such a change at this point
would more likely than not, introduce more regression in the font
subsystems than any perceived benefits it might bring.  It would
also require us to officially support 3 completely different
methods of installing and configuring fonts.

With the whole world moving to Xft/fontconfig, and moving away
from core fonts, it is definitely not something of a priority to
direct significant engineering resources to changing the way core
fonts are installed and handled, and breaking a lot of
compatibility of existing internal and external packages in the
process for no real gains, increasing technical support issues
and bug reports.

I just see xfs and core font problems as being hot potatoes that
nobody is that interested in really fixing, in particular if it
can't easily be reproduced on $THEIR_OS_DISTRIBUTION, and is more
interested in casting blame at $VENDOR instead.  I'd prefer to
just compile a few fixed fonts into the X server directly, and
then get rid of xfs completely, but that's not likely something
we can do for a year or more yet.

The number of bug reports I've seen incoming each release
surrounding xfs and core fonts has significantly decreased,
partly due to upstream bug fixes that have went into xfs,
mkfontdir, etc. and partly due to changes I've made to our
packaging and other infrastructure as well.

Feel free however to pinpoint specific problems in our font
installation/configuration infrastructure, or specific problems
in our font handling methodology to me, and I will certainly
investigate making improvements if possible, and if the scope of
the benefits of potential changes can outweigh any engineering
resource costs associated with making such changes without
massive distro-wide font mayhem catastrophes.

--
Mike A. Harris