From: J. T. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 3:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) amp fiddler love&war

>i just dont know what to say about this description of love and
>war. IMO nothing is generic about anything about it. perhaps the
>old quote he used in the lyrics is a little familiar, but i think
>that was the point.

what lyrics?? i heard "lovveeee" and some scatting..?? quote? guess i
need
to listen again...? but i just dont even like his voice or his
delivery..syruppy, too smooth not enough real feeling..to my ears! it's
subtle thing.

>i really dont see how any of this music is "generic". but you know
>amp fiddler plays keys on at least one and probably more tracks on
>that album.

if its fresh to you then great. not generic? well, i have heard
thousands
and thousands of jazz records. i sell them for a living. so maybe it's
unfortunate but i dont hear anything but limp playing/ideas, heard it
1000
times before kinda stuff, as far as the jazz elements go. as far as his
voice i hear a alot of r&b classic vocalists distilled into something
generic. its not amps fault his voice sounds the way it does but it
doesnt
grab me at all. i gotta say i am not very enthusiastic about the jazzy
kdj
stuff either, but usually it comes together better, progresses, etc etc
so
that it doesnt bug me and hits me better. it's a subtle thing. sometimes

playing/singing this kind of cheese gets by with me, other times it
makes me
cringe and run to pick up the needle..

>box, the amp dog knights, the detroit experiment LP with amp on

a lot of the jazz on detroit experiment falls flat as well imo! sorry. i

know at least a few people on here who are into jazz agree with me..
i much prefer russ gabriel's recent stuff. if he hooked up with a nice
r&b
vocalist i think it could be in the same area as amp but blow him out of
the
water.

if i wasnt extremely disappointed with it i wouldnt have said
anything...

jt