Can you go to the manufacturer download site, save the file to the phone, then
go to the firmware update page in the router GUI, and browse to the file you
saved earlier, just like on a PC?

From: Josh Luthman via Af
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:20 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] cheap computer phone support

Phone can just use the web interface like a PC would.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Ken Hohhof via Af <af@afmug.com> wrote:
  My current problem is I scanned my network and found about 45 customers with
UPnP open to the Internet, I think they are mostly DLinks with some older
Linksys thrown in.  I sent a little note to each of them recommending they
update the firmware and/or disable UPnP, then run the Rapid7 “Scan My Router
Now” test.  There is even a DLink video telling you how to update your firmware:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnacMKb2ro

  I would venture a guess 99% of customers have never updated their router
firmware.  This is something IMHO they need to know how to do or pay someone to
do, like changing the oil in your car.  I think the only way Windows Update
ever gets run is because the computer came with it configured for automatic
updates.

  What’s scary is the trend toward people having only phones, tablets, game
consoles, TVs, Rokus, etc. on their WiFi, no actual computers and certainly
nothing with an Ethernet cable.  How do you update the firmware on your router
from a phone, if they want you to download the firmware to your computer and
then upload it to the router?  At least Netgear gives you buttons when you log
into the router GUI to check for new firmware and to do the upgrade, without
having to first store it on your computer.

  And as dependent as these remote support companies are on remote control
software like Teamviewer and GoToSupport, how do they handle the customer with
no computers?  Do they remote into a phone or tablet?  Even if that is
possible, it’s got to be really clumsy to reprogram someone’s WiFi using a
remote session to a WiFi device.