Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:21 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Licensed backhaul pricing - still ridiculous

Sorry, jerk relex ;-)

*Most* of the FUD and doom and gloom about the AF5 wiping out the
entire WISP market by ignorant users has shown to be unfounded after
some 9 odd months of deployments.  Some people have been affected
though, and a big hammer carried by a toddler is scary.  I do agree
that an 11Ghz and above licensed solution will posses, by the
constraints laid forth by FCC/ETSI reqs, properties that will somewhat
lessen chances of bad actions affecting the masses.  But there is some
risk.

There's a lot of conversation here though that I think can be
discussed without the heat.  Dirty players, such as the omni blasters
and the DFS douches, are going to cause issues when the barrier to
entry is low and the tools allow you to do bad things.  The thought of
a $1k unicorn gigabit link is frankly a bit scary to think of when in
the hands of the dirty players.  However the licensed bands are
protected by some scary FCC teeth and that would help significantly.
Everyone playing dirty in 3.65 isn't worried about enforcement, and
the test mode guys don't seem to be too bothered if they aren't near a
radar (although enforcement is cracking down a lot lately).  But the
first time VZW brings down the full heat of the feds on top of some
schmuck's head for deploying an illegal 11Ghz "test link" should get
the other dirties to pay attention.  The scary thing to think of
however is that the big boys may push hard to kick us out of these
bands entirely (which they're already toying around with on 5Ghz).

There's a lot of things that can be done to protect the lic market in
the case that the unicorn is ever found, such as enforcing buyers have
an existing license before shipping, mfg link activation, etc.  It
will be annoying and make legit users agitated, but dummies gonna
dummy and the last thing we need is to turn the 11/18 Ghz bands into a
supersaturated wasteland.